Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Discovery/ Activity Sacks

Hello all

I have been asked to resource and plan for some learning sacks to cover KUW, CLL and MD, for the children to take home and share with their parents. The maths and literacy I have lots of ideas for with number activities, shape, space and measures activities, phonic activities and the normal story sack ideas.

I am looking for suggestions ..... I thought it might be nice to include all the Foundation curriculum areas.

Has anyone ventured to do this before?...... or any suggestions of what I could put in them.... My budget is also really tight with about 50 bags to do :o

Thank you for any ideas.

Lorna

Hi Lorna,

What a good idea, to do sacks for KUW and so on.....the first three things I thought of were:

1) Several different-sized safety mirrors, and half-pictures so that children can experiment with symmetry. You can also get convex/concave mirrors from educational suppliers to add to the fun!

2) Magnifying glasses and bug collecting boxes, plastic bugs, and a couple of non-fiction books.

3) Magnets, paper clips, etc with suggestions of what to look for in the home that might be magnetic.

Look forward to other replies :)

Have you heard the story sack man speak? His name escapes me at the moment!

It is quite inspirational and within his original remit was a non-fiction/ extension book/ activity that would link in some way to the story.

You could of course start with a story and make sure that you covered the other elements within your sack, or use your topics as sack starters?

Helen's ideas are brill (my mind went blank, for specifics) but would you want them to stand alone or be connected to your classroom activites?

Good luck,let us know how you get on!

Susan

Hi Susan

His name is Neil Griffiths. I went on a course to see him about 18 months ago and he was fantastic. We bought quite a few of his books and we have stsrted making our own story sacks with the help of committee members and parents.

One suggestion we have had but not yet used is to contact W I (womens institue group) and see if they would like to help make some resources for our story sacks.

Carol

thats the one!

I walk around resisting the tempation to buy lighthouses, whenever I see one!! :D

I've just bought a Nelson book called " A corner to learn" with a said Neil Griffiths as the author, wonder if its the same man.

I'm sure his school must have been a fun place to work.

Susan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)